The 2016/2017 winter (tyre?) thread

Daily chat & banter
Harper
Admin
Admin

The 2016/2017 winter (tyre?) thread

Unread postby Harper » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Ok, it's no where near sub-zero yet however I don't think the temp has reached double figures once for me this week and with the clocks going back next weekend I've started contemplating getting the steelies back from the yard ready to go on the car. It's already dusk when I'm driving home at night and having the manky steel wheels on will mean I can continue to bump over the country roads without worrying about what I'm doing to my nice(r) wheels :laugh:

Anyone else thinking of switching over or is it still fairly tropical where you are?
The problem with the world is the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Please note I'm not accepting Facebook friend requests as I'm an anti-social bint at the best of times and Facebook makes me more so :green:

Stuart
Forum god
Forum god

Re: The 2016/2017 winter (tyre?) thread

Unread postby Stuart » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:49 pm

I still haven't removed the winter grips from either motor from last year :lol:

Harper
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Harper » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:08 am

:lol:

Do you notice any difference in wear in the Touran?
The problem with the world is the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Please note I'm not accepting Facebook friend requests as I'm an anti-social bint at the best of times and Facebook makes me more so :green:

Stuart
Forum god
Forum god

Unread postby Stuart » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:29 am

Not looked tbh :lol:

I think they are wearing comparably to summer boots, but they are a bit harsher on fuel consumption with the tread pattern being across the tyre.

But the touran doesn't do all that much miles anyway.

Harper
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Harper » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:42 am

The wheel fairy left me a present yesterday :D

They're getting switched on Monday

lowered-punto
Tech God
Tech God

Unread postby lowered-punto » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:19 pm

Nice one wish I still had winters or the cash to put winters on as I've already started sliding about

Harper
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Harper » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:55 pm

I though you had a second set of alloys for winter tyres. Am I imagining this or did you sell them?

lowered-punto
Tech God
Tech God

Unread postby lowered-punto » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:38 pm

I have the alloys but the tyres are long gone :lol:

Harper
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Harper » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Not sure I could ever go back to just having one set of wheels/tyres. I regularly read comments from people on other forums who can't understand why folks switch and all I can think is they just haven't experienced the difference in grip or handling in crappy weather. And as I have taken out more wheels with this car than all the others put together the convenience and peace of mind of having a spare set is worth the money alone.

The only downside is we've not had a decent amount of snow since I bought the damn things :(

lowered-punto
Tech God
Tech God

Unread postby lowered-punto » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:43 pm

Yeah the other reason for holding off on buying tyres is I have my eyes on another set of alloys that I would run summer tyres on and winters on the sporting alloys then I would be running 17s all year round

Return to “General Chat / Banter”